Monday 22 December 2008

Top 5 Moments of 2008

I know there are a few days left but I feel that I should do this now, so in chronological order only:

1. Being dumped by my girlfriend less than a week into the new year. Unwilling to let this classic moment set the tone for the year I powered on and it ultimately led to many great things, which I'll tell you about when I can think of them. A horrible situation which bore surprisingly sweet fruit. Read on.

2. Losing my apartment. Much like a messy divorce, only minus the kids, I ended up having to move out of a very small but ultimately cool apartment. While I may lament the loss, I am glad that I managed to both get out of a very awkward situation (living with my ex), and move into a flat where I could finally feel relaxed (for the first time in 3 years). I moved into a flat with two people I actually liked. Both guys, both into video games, and both into movies. It really was The House of Trouser, it's just a shame the surrounding area was pants too.

3. Spending my 23rd birthday alone. Quite possibly one of the most depressing thoughts ever, I actually enjoyed having a day where I could do whatever I wanted. That being the case I was able to remember every moment of it. I read a book in the park and treated myself to sushi. No I didn't like being alone, but I liked it better than going out for drinks with a group of friends where Simon Burgess (the fun vampire) is almost guaranteed to turn up and ruin the night for everyone by simply being there.

4. Missing my flight home from San Francisco and having to re-book the flight for the 24th of December, so I'll be arriving home on Christmas afternoon. I guess this means I get an extra couple of days in SF but I've yet to decide if that is a good or a bad thing.

In the airport trying to arrange a flight home


5. Number 5 hasn't happened yet. There are a few days left in 2008 but with such a fantastic year so far, I'm expecting to be unable to write about number 5 when it happens. Perhaps a friend could just post up a copy of my obituary.

Honourable mention goes to my aging roommate for his interesting choice of reading material and unorthodox reading method (being that he sat the magazine up in the sink opposite the toilet, with the toilet roll on the edge of the sink).


This is where I moved it to out of the bathroom,
and the page it was on when I came back. I guess
he liked the dresses.


Roll on 2009!

6 comments:

  1. that's a bit shit, I remember when I got stuck in NY when my flight was cancelled, they said "come back tomorrow" and I asked if they weren't supposed to put me up in a hotel or something but they said "fuck off" (sort of). Anyway I felt a bit sick and had a mini panic attack :)

    As for number 5, wait till you see what I've got you for christmas!

    God speed young martin, and don't miss any more flights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey 2 days delay. That means we get extra US blogstuff!
    Enjoyed the blog so far so keep writing. Any thoughts about a career in moving image journalism? (if it doesn't exist you could invent it)

    Big D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You moron. All I can say is I am glad I am not boarding a flight with you as the chance of it staying in the air all the way back home is pretty negligible with your luck on-board.

    Seriously though I know the feeling of panic and it’s not good but after the initial despair you realise it’s not the end of the world. Have some more fun while in SF before you leave. Every cloud and all that stuff...

    Perhaps missing that flight is fate and you are destined to be on this next trip home – like in Final Destination.

    Safe trip and see you in a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck getting home Martin, hope you can make the most of your extra time in San Fran.

    I think We'll be picking you up from the airport, so make sure the flights not delayed!

    Sophs x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Rob has the right idea. As for all the panic comments, I totally didn't think about it. My reaction was 'Oh, I missed check in.' then I saw they weren't going to let me try and check in late and thought 'Oh, that's a bit shit'. So I re-booked and came back to the hostel. I forgot to say good bye to most people anyway, so it worked out. I might go get a burger and go see Yes Man. Hope it isn't shit or I may have found number 5 for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheer up you miserable sod. If you were stuck out in Baghdad you would have my sympathies, but san francisco looks awesome! I'll bet it looks even cooler at christmas too!

    Very funny entry today, despite all the doom and gloom. Sorry to hear your staying with someone who clearly belongs on a register. Must take you back yo your time at The House of Trouser. See you when you get back :) and keep up the blog.

    ReplyDelete